Mindfulness of Breathing: Counting (video)
Why do we count the breaths in meditation? Early Buddhist origins
(Doug's Dharma, Sept. 13, 2021) For many of us meditation involves a practice of counting the breaths. But it wasn't originally practiced that way. Let's look at the development of the practice of counting breaths through some of its earliest written descriptions. Then we'll consider why the practice may have originated.
☸️ Free mini-course at the Online Dharma Institute: onlinedharma.org. 🧡 If this material seems useful, check this Patreon page and get fun benefits like exclusive videos, audio-only versions, and extensive show notes: patreon.com/dougsseculardharma... 🧡or donate through paypal.me/dougsdharma if you like.
✅ Video mentioned: The Five Hindrances to Meditation [previously "meditation" meant "meditative absorption"]: "Armies of Māra"
- Mindfulness of Breathing by Ven. Anālayo (Windhorse, 2019), pp. 231-233.
- The Path of Freedom (Vimutti-magga) pp. 159-160.
- Vimuttimagga and Visuddhimagga: A Comparative Study by P.V. Bapat
- The Path of Purification (Visuddhimagga) by Ven. Ñāṇamoli (trans.), pp. 271 ff.
- Abhidharmakośabhāṣyam by Leo Pruden (trans. of De La Vallée Poussin)
- Ven. Anālayo's “How the Steps of Mindfulness of Breathing Decreased from Sixteen to Two,” in Illuminating the Dharma: Buddhist Studies in Honour of Venerable Professor KL Dhammajoti, Toshiichi Endo (ed.), (Centre of Buddhist Studies, U. Hong Kong, 2021)
- Ven. Anālayo, “The Treatise on the Path to Liberation (解脫道論) and the Visuddhimagga”
- “Mindfulness of Breathing in the Dhyāna Sūtras” by Florin Deleanu
- 00:00 Intro
- 02:17 When Counting Began
- 03:01 The Vimuttimagga
- 06:35 The Visuddhimagga
- 13:13 Abhidharmakośabhāsyam
- 14:56 Why counting may have developed
- 18:46 Problems with counting
- Disclaimer: Amazon links are affiliate links where I will earn a very small commission on purchases at no additional cost to you. This goes a tiny way towards defraying the costs of making these videos. Thank you!
This entry originally appeared at feedproxy.google.com/~r/WisdomQuarterlyAmericanBuddhistJournal/~3/iZH95y2HLlQ/mindfulness-of-breathing-counting-video.html, and may be a summary or abridged version.